Design the MPavilion 2021 Chair
The selection process
Five designers will be shortlisted from the entries received, and paid $500 to develop their detailed design entry. One design will then be commissioned for production.
Design the MPavilion 2021 chair that will be used throughout the season. MPavilion 2021 will take place in the Queen Victoria Gardens, at the newly constructed pavilion designed by architects MAP studio (Venice). You can read more about MAP studio here.
The chairs will be used for talks, concerts, workshops and general gatherings. As well as being suitable for adults, the chairs will also need to seat children at MKids events.
- MPavilion is an outdoor space, therefore the chairs need to be weatherproof (rainproof and heatproof—hot metal chairs are no fun to sit on in the height of summer!)
- The chairs need to be stackable and lightweight so that they can be easily stored and carried
- Please remember that bodies come in all shapes, sizes, abilities and ages—and be mindful of this when designing
- MPavilion does not always have a security guard present, so it would be useful if there was a way to securely lock the chairs together overnight (this is desirable, but not essential)
- The chairs need to be easy to clean/wipe down
- The chairs need to be durable and last the length of the event season, and beyond
- Where possible, please use sustainable materials in the manufacturing of the chair
Applicants are asked to refer to the existing work of MAP studio (Venice), and consider the proposed materiality of the 2021 pavilion (design release 22nd July).
Five designers will be shortlisted, and paid $500 for their prototype design. The total budget is $10,000. This is to include a prototype chair, design fee, manufacturing and delivery costs. As part of your expression of interest, please submit an itemised budget to include estimated costs.
|Friday 18 June||Competition opens|
|Thursday 22 July||MPavilion 2021 design release|
|Friday 6 August||Competition closes|
|Friday 20 August||Five designers shortlisted and winner announced|
|Friday 3 September||Design detail finalised|
|Monday 20 September||Final prototype presented for approval and ready for photography/media release|
|Tuesday 21 September||All 40-50 chairs in production|
|Monday 8 November||All chairs delivered to MPavilion|
|Thursday 11 November||MPavilion season opens|
Conditions of Commission
Upon commission of the chair, the designer is assigned the intellectual property of the design, on the basis that MPavilion is always acknowledged (i.e. MPavilion 2021 chair). MPavilion will retain the right to produce further editions of the chair but without paying an additional design fee.
Send a pdf outlining your design concept (including considerations, imagery, materials and budget) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm, Friday 6 August.