MPAVILION FOH TEAM
MPavilion is seeking self-motivated, adaptable and enthusiastic casual front of house, baristas and events staff for our diverse and dynamic four-month events program running from 8 October 2018 until 3 February 2019.
FOH staff are the face of MPavilion. You will be the link between the pavilion, the rest of the team, the programmed events and the public.
It is the job of the FOH team to ensure all day-to-day operational requirements are upheld during the season, as well as present an informative and friendly face to visitors of the pavilion. FOH team members should be flexible, reliable, compatible and solutions focused. Depending on your skill set, you might be required to jump between various roles to ensure the smooth daily operation of MPavilion.
FOH team members are inducted as the safety wardens of the space and are responsible for monitoring and reporting on all events during the season.
The FOH team requires event management staff, baristas and people with valid RSAs as well as members with a keen enthusiasm for the MPavilion project, and an interest in upholding the design intention of the architect by maintaining the space.
Please forward a cover letter addressing below role requirements as well as your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by COB Thursday 13 September 2018.
MPavilion is an ongoing series of architecture commissions initiated in 2014 by the Naomi Milgrom Foundation and supported by City of Melbourne, State Government of Victoria through Creative Victoria, and ANZ. Every year the Naomi Milgrom Foundation commissions an outstanding architect to design a pavilion for the Queen Victoria Gardens, in the centre of Melbourne’s Southbank Arts Precinct.
An innovative civic space, a cultural laboratory and a place for people to meet, learn and engage with ideas and design, from October to February each year MPavilion becomes the focus of a free four-month program of cultural events and interventions, lively talks, performances, workshops, installations and gatherings. The MPavilion is then gifted to the people of Victoria and relocated to a new permanent home to be engaged with by the community.
MPavilion spotlights Melbourne as the creative and design capital of Australia: with Melbourne as a world-renowned leader in liveability, MPavilion continues to foster discussion and debate about the role design, architecture and culture have in creating cities that are liveable, creative and equitable.
MPavilion 2018 is designed by esteemed Barcelona-based architect and educator Carme Pinós of Estudio Carme Pinós. Known for her architectural philosophy based on intersections and encounters, Carme Pinós brings an important voice to MPavilion 2018 and to dialogues about liveability, community and design.
- Seasonal four-month contract through MPavilion
- Flexible casual role from October 2018 to February 2019. The roster is compiled to cover a seven-day a week program of events and activities drawing from a team of approximately ten casual FOH team members.
- MPavilion will work with each member of the FOH team to roster around other commitments, such as university, other work commitments, or artistic endeavours. MPavilion encourages FOH team members to have many and varied interests and will accommodate them.
- This position is a coordinating role reporting to the MPavilion Operations Manager and fulfilling the requirements of area warden as required during operations.
- Available Tuesday 2 October,10am–12pm for full staff induction as area warden.
- MPavilion wardrobe worn during shifts (supplied by MPavilion).
- Remain present and engaged with activity in the park at the MPavilion.
- Greet and communicate key messaging to all visitors to MPavilion.
- Maintain daily operations and reporting documentation.
- FOH team to be multidisciplinary and helpful to other team members. It may mean assisting the tech crews, assisting at the Kiosk, gardening, cleaning, greeting guests, managing stakeholders, setting up the space for talks and ensuring all seats are neat and maintained, liaising with Parks Victoria or City of Melbourne staff, assisting the social media team with photography of events, monitoring and reporting events and numbers and assisting event organisers with the set up.
- A set hourly rate is offered. The hourly pay rate applies on the basis of a four-hour minimum call, plus superannuation.
- MPavilion hold Workers Compensation and Public Liability insurance for all employees.
DAILY TASKS MAY INCLUDE
- Event management such as staging and furniture settings, risk management paperwork and coordinating event operations under the direction of MPavilion management.
- Watering plants and nearby garden maintenance.
- Assisting tech crews where required.
- Assist the Kiosk manager where needed/rostered.
- Barista and manning Kiosk and bar.
- General housekeeping and maintenance.
- Management of stakeholder documentation (Assemble Papers, printed monthly programs).
- Friendly, approachable and willing to go the extra mile.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently; self-directed and self motivated.
- Great attitude.
- Interest in architecture, arts, community, culture and urban design.
- Ability to work in a team and build strong working relationships with co-workers.
PREFERRED BUT NOT ESSENTIAL
- Hospitality experience.
- Events experience.
- Barista skills.
- Basic AV experience.
- Customer service experience.
- Interest and knowledge in design, arts, architecture and aesthetic.
- Applications close Thursday 13 September 2018
- Interviews w/c Monday 17 September 2018
- Induction commences Tuesday 2 October 2018
- MPavilion season commences Monday 8 October 2018