THE TOP 10 EVENTS AT MPAVILION THIS SUMMER
Get your calendar ready, and start booking!
Taking place across multiple venues, including MPavilion Docklands, MPavilion Melbourne Zoo, MPavilion Monash, and MPavilion Parkade—the multi-tiered carpark at 34 Little Collins St Melbourne that will be reimagined as the newest MPavilion venue in January—MPavilion’s summer program will feature a circus, a rollerdisco, a conversation about meaning with Julian Burnside AO QC, physical explorations with Chunky Move dance company, a panel discussion about dining and the pandemic conducted by lauded local restaurateurs Hana Assafiri, Ben Shewry and Khanh Nguyen, and a great deal more.
1. MMEETS Rollerdisco: A wheelie good time, Sat 23 Jan, 6pm—9pm (occurring fortnightly until March)
Roll your way to glory at a Rollerdisco of dreams, happening at MPavilion Parkade! Whether you BYO skates, or borrow a pair supplied by Malt Shop Rollers (all sizes available, at no cost), you’ll dance, sing, play, and have a wheelie good time at this Rollerdisco event, specially tailored for grown-up skaters.
2. MTALKS Eating out, eating in: A conversation with Hana Assafiri, Khanh Nguyen and Ben Shewry, Fri 29 Jan, 6.15pm—7.30pm
Join three of Melbourne’s most beloved restaurateurs, Hana Assafiri of Moroccan Soup Bar, Khanh Nguyen of SUNDA _ and Ben Shewry of Attica for a very special panel discussion that will illuminate the trials and triumphs experienced by restaurateurs throughout lockdown.
3. MKIDS Circus in the city, Mon 11, Tue 12, Wed 13 & Thu 14 Jan 2021, 11am—12.30pm
Learn tumbling, juggling, diablo, acrobatics, gymnastics, acrobalance, tight wire, rola bola and more with Westside Circus. Developed to be a relaxed and engaging introduction to the art and skills of the travelling show.
4. MTALKS Julian Burnside AO QC in conversation, Thu 21 Jan 2021, 6.15pm—7.15pm
Aleks Hammo sits down with Australian barrister, human rights and asylum seeker advocate, and author Julian Burnside AO QC to discuss meaning, work, hope, and much more.
5. MMEETS Chunky Move residency at MPavilion Monash, Mon 25, Wed 27, Thu 28 & Fri 29 Jan 11am—4pm and Sat 30 Jan, 3pm—4pm
For one week in January, Melbourne contemporary dance company Chunky Move will undertake a creative residency onsite at MPavilion Monash.
6. MMEETS Margam: Lineage, Sun 24 Jan, 3pm—4.30pm
In this interactive presentation, Tara Rakjumar OAM and Nithya Gopu Solomon of Natya Sudha Dance Company show you how a rich, diverse body of performance practice and knowledge has been developed by expanding traditional repertoires with new, contemporary influences from theatre, martial arts, yoga and other dance styles.
7. MTALKS Blakitecture: design obligations, mon 18 jan, 6.15pm—8pm
What do our environments become if we consider the act of design to be less about responding to the rights of humans, and more about responding to our collective obligation to care for Country? This yarn explores the responsibilities we all share as humans that temporarily inhabit Country, and how these might influence the way we design.
8. MMEETS Meditate for climate, Sun 31 Jan 2021, 10am—10.45am
Sitting in solidarity and compassion with all those affected by climate change, you and your fellow participants will experience a guided Earth-centred meditation led by meditation teacher Sophie Miles, with beautiful live music accompaniment by Genevieve Fry (harp) and Esala Liyanage (percussion).
9. MTALKS fUTURE PROOFING: pRESERVING CONTEMPORARY TAPESTRY THROUGH ARCHITECTURE, WED 20 JAN, 6.15PM—7.15PM
Join architects Peter Williams AM, Amy Muir and Australian Tapestry Workshop Director Antonia Syme AM as they discuss how historical connections between architectural space and tapestry can be drawn upon in the contemporary world, and explore the ways that tapestries may transform public and private space in the future.
10. MTALKS Peter McIntyre AO in conversation with Toby Reed, fRI 22 JAN, 6.15PM
Now 93 years young, Peter McIntyre AO—the legendary architect behind MPavilion Parkade—will discuss his remarkable career, and his thoughts on the adaptive re-use of Parkade for MPavilion in an unmissable conversation with architect Toby Reed.