Long Prawn looks at Hot Bonnet Cooking
Receive a reminder on the day of the event. Some events will also be published for playback anytime, we’ll let you know when its published too.
Thanks for your interest.
We’ll notify you on the day and also if a recording is made available.
This event looks at how traversing a city and using its mechanisms (car parks, cars, roads) as cooking devices is an act of play. A togetherness explored by conscious and rewarding carpooling. A rethinking of how we travel, what is wasted when we do.
Join us for a multi MPavilion adventure from Monash to Parkade, all the while cooking some food under the hood of your car.
Under-bonnet cooking, sometimes referred to as manifold cooking or even CarB-Qing, is a backwater food preparation method that uses excess waste heat from an internal combustion car engine to heat and or cook food. Hermetic packages of foil, placed on the exhaust manifold and filled with carefully prepared ingredients are broiled, steamed and stewed as the driver racks up their revs. Rather than measuring heat or time, a hot bonnet recipe is gauged with varying distances. For the environmentally conscious driver, it is an opportunistic meal which uses waste energy from one’s vehicle. It is a journey and a meal combined; a resourceful ready-made, waiting for you to pop that hood!
Places are strictly limited, with 4 x per car – so get in quick!Register your car to attend in person
- Arrive at Monash MPavilion
- Receive some roadside sustenance and your sealed dinner pack.
- Packs are safely installed in your car by our staff. (Appropriate support will be provided to ensure packs are correctly installed and don’t get run over.)
- Tune in to the drive-thru friendly, road-rage absolving voice of SkyLab’s Breakstacy.
- Make your own way to the CBD, while your engine cooks your dinner.
6 – 630pm
- Arrive at MPavilion Parkade
- Reveal your car cooked meals
630pm – 7pm
- Bumper to bumper, packets of steam will be released: dinner served! Using the car as kitchen and dining table, participants can enjoy their resourceful cooked dinner as the Skylab broadcast skids through the carpark.
- For ease of installation, vehicle models which are dated BEFORE the year 2000 are preferred. Please contact us if you wish to book in a vehicle that is a made post 2000’s to discuss its viability.
- We ask that all vehicles come with up to 4 passengers within your family or social bubble – during this time we do not recommend sharing enclosed spaces with those outside of your bubble. We also recommend the wearing of masks while attending the event.
- After receiving your package, guests will be responsible for following the instructions to adequately cook the meals, with hand-washing, toilet and waste facilities provided at Parkade to ensure clean and safe eating. Physical distancing must be maintained by all participants.
- When booking your vehicle you must agree that MPavilion or Long Prawn do not accept any responsibility for any loss or damage caused (including through negligence), which you may directly or indirectly suffer in connection to this cooking demonstration, nor do MPavilion or Long Prawn accept any responsibility for any loss arising out of your use of or reliance on information contained on or accessed through this event.
- Due to the limited capacity of car cooking, we will not be able to adjust the menu according to various dietary needs. The menu will be primarily vegetarian.
- Tickets for this event are free, however to ensure space for everyone we ask for a $10.00 refundable deposit upon booking (per car). We ask that if you book you kindly attend or notify us in advance if you’re unable to attend.