Design the MPavilion 2022 Chair
The selection process
Five designers will be shortlisted from the entries received, and paid $500 to develop their detailed design entry. One design will then be commissioned for production.
Design the MPavilion 2022 chair that will be used throughout the season. MPavilion 2022 will take place in the Queen Victoria Gardens, at the newly constructed MPavilion designed by architects all(zone). You can read more about all(zone) here.
The chairs will be used for talks, concerts, workshops and general gatherings. As well as being suitable for adults, the chairs will also need to seat children at MKids events.
- MPavilion is an outdoor space, therefore the chairs need to be weatherproof (rainproof and heatproof—hot metal chairs are no fun to sit on in the height of summer!)
- The chairs need to be lightweight so that they can be easily stored and carried
- Please remember that bodies come in all shapes, sizes, abilities and ages—and be mindful of this when designing
- MPavilion does not always have a security guard present, so it would be useful if there was a way to securely lock the chairs together overnight (this is desirable, but not essential)
- The chairs need to be easy to clean/wipe down
- The chairs need to be durable and last the length of the event season, and beyond
- Where possible, please use sustainable materials in the manufacturing of the chair
Applicants are asked to respond to the design of MPavilion 2022 by all(zone), which can be viewed here.
Five designers will be shortlisted and paid $500+GST for their prototype design.
The total budget for the winning commission is $12,500. This includes a prototype chair, design fee, manufacturing and delivery costs. As part of your expression of interest please submit an itemised budget to include estimated costs.
The selected winner will have their design prototype showcased at Craft Victoria’s group exhibition, The Chair, running from 10 September to 19 November 2022. Materials of this prototype do not need to be the final design specification for the MPavilion season, and the design will be clearly acknowledged as a prototype within the exhibition.
|Wednesday 6 July||Competition opens|
|Thursday 12 July||MPavilion 2022 design release|
|Thursday 4 August||Competition closes|
|Monday 22 August||Five designers shortlisted and winner announced|
|Thursday 8 September||Design detail finalised & prototype delivered to Craft Victoria|
|Thursday 27 September||All 40-50 chairs in production|
|Monday 14 November||All chairs delivered to MPavilion|
|Thursday 17 November||MPavilion season opens|
Conditions of Commission
Upon commission of the chair, the designer is assigned the intellectual property of the design, on the basis that MPavilion is always acknowledged (i.e. MPavilion 2022 chair). MPavilion will retain the right to produce further editions of the chair but without paying an additional design fee.
Send a pdf outlining your design concept (including considerations, imagery, materials and budget) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm, Thursday 4 August.