FOUNDED IN 2014, MPAVILION IS A UNIQUE ARCHITECTURE COMMISSION AND DESIGN EVENT FOR MELBOURNE.
Initiated by the Naomi Milgrom Foundation with support from City of Melbourne and the Victorian State Government, every year for four years an outstanding architect will be commissioned to design a temporary pavilion for the Queen Victoria Gardens, in the centre of Melbourne’s Southbank Arts Precinct.
An event hub, a meeting place and an invitation to experiment, each MPavilion brings creative collaborators together to present a free, four-month program of talks, workshops, performances and installations from October to February.
MPavilion 2016 is designed by Bijoy Jain of Studio Mumbai, an award-winning architect and practice of distinction based in India. The 2015 MPavilion was designed by AL_A the studio of Stirling Prize–winning architect Amanda Levete, and now has a permanent new home in Melbourne’s Docklands. The 2014 MPavilion was designed by Australian firm Sean Godsell Architects, and now has a new, permanent home at Melbourne’s Hellenic Museum.
Main photo by Earl Carter.
MPavilion is open from 5 October 2016 – 7 February 2017.
MPavilion is located in the Queen Victoria Gardens, opposite Arts Centre Melbourne on St Kilda Road, Melbourne.
- Sydney Morning Herald 22 July 2016 MPavilion 2016: acclaimed architect Bijoy Jain brings the outside in
- The Australian Financial Review 28 June 2016 Architect Bijoy Jain draws on the essentials for Naomi Milgrom's third MPavilion
- InDesign Live 7 March 2016 A new home for the MPavilion
- Australian Design Review 4 March 2016 2015 MPavilion gifted to the city of Melbourne
- Sydney Morning Herald 9 February 2016 MPavilion 2016: Indian architect Bijoy Jain announced for project's third oteration
- Bangalore Mirror 9 February 2016 MAMA MIA!
- Business Standard 9 February 2016 Australian High Commission welcomes Bijoy Jain's MPavilion commission
- Broadsheet 9 February 2016 2016 MPavilion Architect Announced
- Architecture AU 9 February 2016 Studio Mumbai to design 2016 MPavilion
- Designboom 8 February 2016 Bijoy Jain commissioned to design melbourne's third annual MPavilion
- Arch Daily 8 February 2016 Studio Mumbai Founder Bijoy Jain to Design Melbourne's Next MPavilion
- Dezeen 8 February 2016 Studio Mumbai to design 2016 edition of Melbourne's MPavilion
- Blouin Artinfo 8 February 2016 Studio Mumbai’s Bijoy Jain Awarded MPavilion 2016 Commission
- Architect Magazine 8 February 2016 Indian Architect Bijoy Jain to Design the 2016 MPavilion in Melbourne, Australia
- The Spectator 6 January 2016 Cat on a hot petal roof
- Designboom 20 December 2015 TOP 10 temporary structures of 2015
- The Australian Financial Review 10 December 2015 The best and the worst architectural and interior designs of 2015
- Wallpaper* 1 December 2015 Art for everyone: 15 installations that capture the global imagination
- Vogue Australia 1 November 2015 She built this city
- Domus 27 October 2015 AL_A: MPavilion 2015
- The Architectural Review 15 October 2015 Interview: Amanda Levete
- Dezeen 5 October 2015 Amanda Levte's tree canopy-like MPavilion opens in Melbourne
- Shop Talk London 22 May 2015 Summer in the city
- The Age 10 April 2015 Star architect envisages natural canopy
- Art & Australia 2 December 2014 Pagodas, Pavilions and Contemporary Design: MPavilion
- Casabella 1 December 2014 Sean Godsell – MPavilion Melbourne
- Wall Street Journal 20 November 2014 MPavilion Finds a Home in Australia
- Assemble Papers 10 October 2014 MPavilion: A brief history & user's guide
- The Design Files 9 October 2014 MPavilion
- Blouin Artinfo 7 October 2014 Inaugural MPavilion Architectural Commission Unveiled in Melbourne
- ABC 774 Melbourne 7 October 2014 MPavilion offers architectural shelter for Melbourne culture
- The Guardian Australia 6 October 2014 Art and shade: MPavilion opens in Melbourne
- Architecture AU 6 October 2014 Sean Godsell’s MPavilion unfurled
- Broadsheet 19 July 2014 MPavilion Brings Architecture to Our Gardens