MPavilion is Australia’s leading architecture commission—a cultural laboratory where the community can come together to engage and share.
MPavilion is an ongoing initiative of the Naomi Milgrom Foundation and is supported by City of Melbourne, State Government of Victoria through Creative Victoria.
Each year since 2014, the Naomi Milgrom Foundation has commissioned an outstanding architect to design a pavilion for the Queen Victoria Gardens, in the centre of Melbourne’s Southbank Arts Precinct. The MPavilion then becomes the focus of a free program season of cultural events and interventions, lively talks, performances, workshops, installations and kid-friendly experiences.
At the close of each season, the MPavilion is gifted by the Naomi Milgrom Foundation to the people of Victoria and relocated to a new, permanent home, where it can be engaged by the community. Find out where to visit MPavilions in Victoria.
Stay tuned for announcements on MPavilion 2022.
- MPavilion exists on the stolen land of the people of the Eastern Kulin Nations and we pay respects to Elders past, present and emerging. We acknowledge that sovereignty has never been ceded. We believe this ancient sovereignty can shine through as a fuller expression of Australia’s nationhood. It is important to us that all our collaborators acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the land upon which their event is taking place, but that they are aware of the history and importance of the Kulin Nations in the development of any event.
- We aim to prioritise and support the voices of First Nations peoples in the development of our program.
- We prioritise events that consider the importance of care for Country, the environment, and all living beings, and advocate for dialogue around urgent climate action.
- We are driven to bring exceptional design and architecture to all Australians in a free and accessible manner—enriching the lives of individuals, nourishing communities, protecting the environment, boosting economies and improving the growth of cities.
- We welcome projects and collaborative work from communities, organisations and individuals from all identities, environments and experiences that are focused on social and gender equity, sustainability and accessibility.
- We operate under a ‘nothing about us, without us’ policy, and will look to support events that have shown to deeply consider these principles.
- MPavilion is committed to the Panel Pledge. When organising a panel, line-up or any event at MPavilion there needs to be a gender balance in the selection of participants. We will only accept proposals that align with this.
- MPavilion strives to be a culturally inviting and physically safe space for sharing and collaborating, and we encourage and support self determination through freedom of expression.